Granola can be a healthy part of a well-balanced diet. However, most granola found in the store is packed full of added sugars and preservatives. Making your own can help reduce added sugars, provide protein, healthy fats and taste great! Use this recipe as a base and mix it up with different nuts, seeds, spices, dried fruits, and sweeteners.
Serve with your favorite milk alternative or yogurt (organic whole milk dairy, almond or cashew). It’s great as a handful in the afternoon for a quick “pick me up” snack.
Yield: ~18, ½ cup servings Prep time: 5-10 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 40 mins
- 5 c. gluten free rolled oats
- 2 c. raw, unsalted mixed nuts, chopped (pecans, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, etc…)
- 1 c. shredded, unsweetened coconut
- ½ c. raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- ½ c. raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- ¾ c. raw coconut oil
- ½ c. raw honey
- 2-3 Tablespoons of spices in any combination of your choice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, cloves, etc.)
- 1 c. dried fruit, unsweetened (raisins, cranberries, blueberries, cherries etc…)
Preheat oven to 325°F
In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, except dried fruit and stir until well combined. In medium saucepan, melt coconut oil and honey. Once melted, pour over dry ingredients and stir until well combined and moist. Divide between rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or baking mat and spread-out evening with spatula. Place in oven and set timer for 15-minutes. Stir and rotate pans and bake another 15-minutes. Remove from oven and add dried fruit. Stir, pat down (if you like clumps) and allow to fully cool before putting in airtight containers. Shelf stable for up to 10 days.