Simple, fast, and delicious every time. Use as a side dish, in soups or just by themselves for a tasty snack. Roasting vegetables in the oven is one of the easiest side dishes to make and it’s great for those of you just starting to learn how to cook and increase vegetable intake.
How to roast in the oven:
- Choose vegetables that are roughly the same density as they will take roughly the same amount of time to cook. Root vegetables (potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, parsnips, onions) take the longest to roast, 30-50 minutes depending on what size you cut them. Smaller size = less roasting time.
- Cut veggies so they are the same thickness. This ensures they roast uniformly. There is nothing worse than having half your vegetables done and the other half not.
- Once cut, toss in olive oi, salt and pepper. Place on parchment silicone lined sheet pan with lots of room. Use two pans if necessary.
- Use a hot, 425 degree F oven, middle rack for 30-50 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, stir and rotate pan for even cooking.
- Add any herbs the last 20 minutes for additional flavor. Rosemary, thyme, oregano, and sage work well
Making a large batch is a great way to have vegetables on hand throughout the week. You can use them as a side, add them to salads or wraps, eat them on their own for a snack or make them into a roasted vegetable soup! Add a few eggs and you have breakfast.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Total time 50 minutes
- 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 2 parsnips, peeled, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into ½ inch wedges
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 6 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional additions: fresh herbs, spices like cumin, chili powder, ginger, cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Wash, cut and place veggies into large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and any seasonings, (except fresh herbs) and toss to coat
- Place vegetables on lined baking sheet and place in middle of oven for 15-20 minutes. Toss and rotate and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes or until fork tender
- Serve warm and place leftover in fridge for 2-3 days.