Salsa is a Spanish word that defines any kind of sauce, and when salsa is prepared with raw ingredients it is known as salsa cruda. Our variation offers a medley of fresh mild flavors blended into a brightly colored, refreshing dish that is more crunchy than saucy. Use it as a topping to scoop chips in, or add it to sandwiches, chicken salad or fresh greens, top polenta, or bring a welcome flavor to a plate of beans and rice.
I am always a fan of making your own food as you know exactly what is in it. Salsa Cruda made at home is a healthier alternative to store bought offerings that may have added sugar, sodium and preservatives. It doesn’t take long to chop these vegetables and they will last up to three days tightly covered in the fridge. One half cup of each of the 5 vegetables once cut, will provide approximately 2 ½ cups salsa cruda. The quantity can be easily altered to suit your needs. Be sure to always purchase organic, firm, fresh produce.
- 1 English cucumber, 1/4″ diced
- 2-3 tomatillos, 1/4″ diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, 1/4″ diced
- 1 Anaheim pepper, de-seeded and diced small
- 1-2 stalks bok choy, leaves removed and stems diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Wash and dry vegetables thoroughly.
- Cut all vegetables into fairly equal proportions and sizes as indicated below.
- Slice cucumbers in ¼” rounds, then strips, then cross cut into ¼” diced pieces.
- Slice Roma tomatoes in half, then 1/4″ strips lengthwise, then cross cut into ¼” diced pieces.
- Slice Anaheim peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds, then cut in ¼” strips, then dice crosswise.
- Use the firm flesh of bok choy, setting greens aside for other uses, and dice in ¼” pieces as you would celery.
- Place all prepared ingredients into a bowl.
- Wash cilantro well. You’ll want about ¼ cup of chopped leaves for the quantity of vegetables suggested, some stems are ok. Add that to the bowl and mix all ingredients gently.
- Sparingly add salt, pepper and cumin to taste. It doesn’t take much, so sprinkle some in, mix gently, check the flavor, and add more as desired.
- Serve immediately or make a few hours ahead, keeping refrigerated and covered.